Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Secret Life of Bees--Sue Monk Kidd

When Genevieve loaned me this book, she prefaced it with a warning. "I really liked it, but it is an Oprah book. " Oh, indeedy--spirituality instead of religion, wise n' mystical black folks, an abused child, terrible secrets you guess in the first chapter, the search for a true home. All set in the Civil Rights era South. Spin the wheel, pick a theme, write it in, boys and girls. But it was a good read. Just captivating enough, but not life changing. An excellent vacation read. Kind of how I feel about O, the magazine.

Sue Monk Kidd (gotta love the ring of that) also features amputation as a plot point of her new book, so we'll be staying far away from that even with the warning of the poor reviews.

In return I am loaning Genevieve Beat Until Stiff by Claire M. Johnson. It's a mystery that Anthony Bourdain would have written if he were a female pastry chef whose drug of choice was Clomid. Mary Ryan's been drowning her depression over her infertility and the end of her marriage by developing a tremendous hate-on of everything and working too much for idiots. The plan works great until she finds one of the cooks dead in a laundry bag and feels the need to take the situation more seriously than anyone at the restaurant or the police wants. It's a rarity to find a mystery with such a flat out bitchy but likeable heroine. And involving food (typical crappy cozy subject) to boot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Holly Lem and i would like to show you my personal experience with Clomid.

I am 28 years old. I got preg first time on my own & miscarried. after a while of trying, my dr put me on clomid. after the first round i got pregnant & miscarried. i decided not to try or think about it at all probably for a 9 months... right around the time baby would be due & then started trying again. after a few months got back on clomid. after 5 months and no pregnancy i'm giving it a rest again. it's to much disappointment. i'm going to give it a try again soon, in the mean time we're keeping our fingers crossed for the old fashioned way to work.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
HOT FLASHES, moody, cry easily, weight gain, headaches etc!!

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Holly Lem