Wednesday, March 28, 2007

For Those of Us Who Still Put Pen To Paper

So the Post Office is raising rates again, and in order to soften the blow they're introducing the Liberty Stamp. For 41 cents now, you get a stamp that will always be honored as first class postage.

Now I get the marketing and how this might be a good idea, and as someone who still mails letters and bills frequently I'd be the target demographic to buy up a bunch of them. Say over the next 50 years I'll go through 10,000 stamps. I could buy them up now for $4100.00. Except that's a hunk of change to invest, plus at what point will it be most advantageous for me to use my stockpiled postage? There has to be a cutoff point for most everyone to stop using the USPS because it will be too expensive, and then everything will move to electronic correspondence.

Prediction? Liberty Stamp is a big flop, like the neverending attempts to get Americans to use dollar coins.

No comments: