Sunday, June 28, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Wednesday was my 1 year anniversary of arriving in Phoenix. I celebrated by bringing a 10 pound Costco cake into work on Thursday. Carrying that sucker up the street was a pain, I tell you. It said "Congratulations" and there was barely a scrap left at the end of the day.

Yes, coming to Phoenix was a good thing. In Ohio, I was constantly frustrated, and I didn't know why. My mom asked if t was because I didn't have a full-time job for so long, but it predated that issue. Some of it was feeling so disconnected from the people I met, aside from Genevieve, Cookbook, SuperC, Ms.G. and some others. But a lot of it was that I felt trapped. I trapped myself, don't get me wrong--I stayed with the ex, I bought a house, I went to grad school. But there's something about the city that encourages it--if you have a job that pays decently, you stay with it because there's not a lot of opportunities. You buy a house because it seems cheap and you think you'll stay a while and it's a good investment. Oh, look there's a single guy you're compatible with--marry him quick. There's something about the place that encourages complacency, or at least that was the case with me. While out here, I think I should be doing something, working on myself, having fun at least: bat watching, speed dating, biking, getting a scooter and joining a club, doing yoga, taking up tennis. Or at least I should be prepared to do all that September-May, as it was 111 degrees today.

Yes, I'm still frustrated. But I'm frustrated with myself, which is different and for all the same reasons that I am always frustrated and disappointed in myself--perfectionism, awkwardness, distrust, laziness. Phoenix is different in the type of craziness it evokes and I can be fairly sure I have an escape plan should things go rotten. I am amused by the irony that I've moved from being the settled down type, which was what I always thought I wanted to be based on a volatile childhood, to embracing a lifestyle where I could cut and run on a moment's notice. I still don't have a couch.

As for other things:

The House

Cuyahoga County Auditor thinks the property has a market value of $106,400 for the purposes of tax assessment. I have papers to sign under the watchful eyes of a notary tomorrow; then they get filed with the court and eventually I no longer own a house.

What's on tap for this week: Tomorrow I am going over to The Crimson Conquest's to watch 3 hours of True Blood. I am bringing raw beet salad (Cookbook, I am modifying a recipe of your fake boyfriend's) and she is supplying the tapes and the bourbon. Wednesday I am going to free night at the Phoenix Art Museum (Wende--you and the neighbors interested?) I am seeing the Jenny Lewis show on July 11th. I am going to try to make getting out and doing things more of a priority. And I need some help packaging myself for online dating.

2 comments:

Cookbook said...

Happy anniversary! I miss you but am glad that things are working out for you in Phoenix.

Also don't use the word "fake" in reference to me and Bittman. It's as real as my imagination can make it. Oh wait. ;-)

drwende said...

Happy anniversary!

Yes, I'd love to do free night at the art museum -- I haven't been through there in ages.