Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Practically The Saddest Day Ever

The mysterious visitor who left cognac and roses on Poe's grave did not show up this year, ending a 60 year tradition. Aw.

EDIT: And, Writers' Almanac profiled Poe, and included the detail that he trained the cat to sleep on his tuberculosis-stricken wife's lap to keep her warm. I almost cried.

Kate McGarrigle died. I saw one of her shows several years ago--she was very cranky and there was excess deadspace as they tuned guitars. This is one of my favorite Kate & Anna McGarrigle songs.



Robert B. Parker, author of the Spenser novels, also died. I read his books several times over in my teens.

Hell, Erich Segal, who wrote Love Story died. Yes, it's a sapfest story that should be titled Oliver And His Daddy Issues, but the movie is enjoyable for the luminous Ali McGraw and the well-developed story.

1 comment:

Cookbook said...

I saw all these headlines today. Sadness. Kate McGarrigle hit me pretty hard; Heartbeats Accelerating was one of the first CDs I ever bought.

Also the Poe thing. Weirdness.