Sunday, March 13, 2011

The To Read Pile

I actually have 2 piles, books I own and books I renew from the library every three weeks. Here's the books I own:

The Great Man, Jeremy Thrane and The Epicure's Lament by Kate Christensen. I've actually read The Great Man, it was a desire for a reread that lead to the others.

Boneshaker--Cherie Priest. I liked her Four and Twenty Blackbirds, which was modern American fantasy, and this is the start to her steampunk writings which have also been well-reviewed.

Rat Girl--Kristen Hersh. Highly recommended by Cookbook, also of interest for the mental illness and 80's indie music angles.

The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet--Jamie Ford. Taken from my mom, who liked it. It's the kind of book club book I reflexively shy away from.

Shape Up With The Slow Fat Triathlete--Jayne William. Inspiration.

The Iron Duke--Meljean Brooks. Romance plus steampunk/fantasy, the reviewers at Dear Author were all about this book last year.

His At Night--Sherry Thomas. Well reviewed romance from an author I like. I just don't know if I need her style of over the top emotion at the moment.

Await Your Reply--Dan Chaon. Recommended by The Girl Detective.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks--E. Lockhart, Another reread, but one of the best YA books and one of the best books about feminism I've ever read.

One Day--David Nicholls. Recommended by Genevieve.

I'd Know You Anywhere--Laura Lippman. From my mom again. Yes, I might need to read some creepy serial killer screwing with one's mind fiction, and Lippman is an excellent writer.

The Imperfectionists--Tom Rachman. I actually gave this to Jesse X for Christmas, but he gave it to me when my mom got him a Kindle.

A Discovery of Witches--Deborah Harkness. It's hot, well reviewed and I might need something like Harry Potter for grownups.

Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat--Michelle May, M.D. Mindfulness will help you eat less, identify your emotions and loser weight. But to master mindfulness...

So what's on your pile?

No comments: