Sunday, July 31, 2011

Single People Need Work-Life Balance Too

So a few weeks ago my attention was drawn to the work-life balance profiles on Cup of Jo. And as I was reading, I was increasingly reminded that my life as a single woman with a demanding job is out of balance. And why does no one ever talk about that?

Let's get this straight: It's not like I don't know or appreciate that it's 10 thousand times harder to do everything with a small person with an immature immune system and few words. But even if you don't have them small folk around gumming up the works, it's hard to work in everything you are supposed to/want to do. Which is why in all those profiles, there was a notable lack of good sleep habits on the part of the mothers.

I don't have that precisely--the meds I am require I sleep 8 hours a night, at least (I like to go to bed at 9pm and get up at 5am). In the meantimes, I work 40-50 hours a week, often on weekends too. I'd also like to see Peaches more than I do, also most conveniently on the weekend, so carve out about 4 hours there. I should work out, and not just as part of doing my activities. I do a big grocery shop once every two weeks when I get paid. I should be doing more social things, writing more, reading more, keeping a clean house, brushing the cats, being creative, "taking care of myself"--I feel cut off from the life I'd like to have because work demands so much of me. I just see a lack of fun in my life, and a feeling I should be doing more than I am. Part of it is that my brain is so worn out there's little energy or creativity at the end of the day.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you address it?

No comments: