Sunday, May 06, 2012

Recent Cooking Experiments


Last week I did a lot of cooking.

Carrot Soup With Miso and Sesame: Aces came over for dinner before we went to see Sarah Vowell do a reading in Scottsdale, and she liked it. I think that this tastes fine, I'd just serve it in a cup or half-cup portion served with salad or some fake sushi. You know how sometimes you are eating something and just become overwhelmed with the healthiness of it all? That's what I felt half-way through my bowl.

Scallion Meatballs with Soy-Ginger Glaze:Utter recipe failure, probably due to the fact that I had to defrost the ground turkey in the microwave and the mix was way too mushy. I also think that some breadcrumbs might have been helpful. I resuscitate my not-meatballs by throwing it into a muffin tin and baking it for 20 minutes. The meat mixture is bland, but the soy-ginger glaze is good--it's really the source of all flavor.

Double Coconut Muffins: So delicious. The only thing that could have made it more delicious was a tablespoon of chocolate frosting on top. Which means it wouldn't be a muffin, but more of a cupcake. I may have used a bit of Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter to attempt to achieve the effect, but failed.

This is also a higher protein baked good due to the use of Greek yogurt and whole wheat flower.

Roasted Banana Ice Cream: Another total failure on my part, probably due to the fact that I used 2% milk instead of whole. Hey, I roll with what I've got. Despite chilling and putting it in the ice cream maker, it never seemed to firm up, and grossed out by the smell I put it in the disposal. (I just do not like the smell of bananas, okay?)

Abilene. Wandering in the Fry's, I came across cartons of peach nectar for 75 cents. In retrospect, what was I thinking? I was thinking there has got to be a cocktail using that, and I was right. I didn't say it was a good cocktail. I may not be a rum drinker.

No comments: