Sunday, December 11, 2005

Cabbage and Noodles Recipe

In the comments, I was asked for my cabbage and noodles recipe. No suggestions for complementary beverage and entree, or reading material--anything goes well with this, once the weather is so cold.

Noodles
I swear that the egg noodles out here are radically different from the ones I grew up eating. I use Mueller's Hearty Extra Wide Egg Noodles, cooked per package directions. Usually about four or five handfuls--1/3-1/2 the package.

The Cabbage
I use a special pan for this--it's a nonstick wok that my mom bought me at Costco about 10 years ago. It just works best.

Finely chop 2 cloves of garlic, and dice 1 medium yellow onion. Saute in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium high heat. Slice up half a head of green cabbage, avoiding the toughest part of the stem. When the onions and garlic are just turning a little golden, add the cabbage and push it around for 5-10 minutes, until you think it's limp enough. It's a personal taste issue. Add 1 tablespoon caraway seeds and mix them in, saute for a minute or two. Take off the heat and add the noodles. Cut off a couple of lumps of butter and stir them in with the noodles.

The end!

5 comments:

Genevieve said...

That sounds super yummy!

Maybe we can pick up some genuine northeastern egg noodles when you're here so you don't have to eat those Ohio ones ;).

holly_44109 said...

thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

There's this awesome eastern european grocery around our house, I bet they'll have the taste you're looking for :)

Yvonne said...

Kerry...here in PA we get some kind of amish brand home made noodles...they're in the regular noodle section of the grocery store, just sometimes they're on the bottom shelf and pushed back out of the way and you can hardly see them. Look twice. If you can't find any, let me know and I'll mail you some. Seriously!

Kerry said...

Thanks for the noodles offers! I should have looked for them when I was visiting my parents at Christmas. The challenge of recreating my mom's potroast and noodles is rather Proutian. The noodles in particular were wide rectangles that stuck together and absorbed delicious amounts of butter and juice. I bet I could still get them at the Acme, along with my favorite cookie, the Social Tea.