Sunday, November 19, 2006

Cranberry Apricot Sauce

So here's the deal--about 5 years ago, when I was still hosting and cooking Thanksgiving for 10+ people, I came across a really good cranberry sauce recipe on the internet. I had never understood the allure of cranberries, but this is so good. If you make it particularly smooth and jammy, you can use it for peanut butter sandwiches after the holiday. Problem is, I have no clue where I got this recipe from on the internet, and every year I have to remember and rejigger it. So here's this year's variation on Kerry's Cranberry Apricot Sauce:

2 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 cup water
1 cup diced dried apricots
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
juice of 1 orange

Put all this in a saucepan, and simmer on high medium until the cranberries pop. Keep an eye on it! It will burn! Stir frequently. Feel free to taste and adjust the amount of sugar and apricots. Maybe add some extras--brandy? Chinese 5 spice powder? cinnamon? Anything. When about 3/4 of the berries have popped and it's jammy in texture, either pull out a hand blender and whir it, or transfer to a food processor and chop until smooth.

No comments: