Monday, July 23, 2007

More Cooking Chat

Those salad greens I got from the CSA 2 Thursdays ago? Still good. I am finishing them up tonight.

Depending on if I am still hungry after that, I will have more roto chicky and steamed broccoli with lime dressing (recipe from 9/05 Everyday Food--1tbs lime juice combined w/ 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil, covering 1 1/2 lbs broc (my ass that is enough dressing for that much broccoli) w/coarse salt). I also have cherries for dessert. Speaking of cherries, I was talking with Genevieve and she mentioned that she would be grilling plums and apricots for her Saturday dessert, and so I bought some apricots myself today. Is there a more beautiful fruit? My favorite thing to do is apricot cherry pie or cobbler or whatnot. But I may also make some chutney. And I will grill them, I think--with vanilla or coffee ice cream?

Those little cukes from 2 CSA ago--made into quick pickles. Turned out well. Have to finish them.

The 2 huge zucchini--I am going to brave hot oil and make zuke fritters tomorrow.

This weekend, I made pork tenderloin with Coffee Bourbon Barbeque Sauce. I can attest that if you accidently put 1/2 cup cider vinegar in the pot instead of 2 tablespoons, you can increase the brown sugar to 3/4 cup and it will turn out fine. Thank you for the hint, Genevieve! It is so thin that it would make an excellent marinade along with a sauce, I think.

The good thing about having no working car is that it does force you to use up and be a bit creative in your cooking, since there's no running out to get stuff--a walk to the grocery for me is about 20 minutes each way. Later I will inventory the fridge, I promise.

No comments: