Friday, July 13, 2007

On Being A Hip Shusher

I think I hate the hip librarian stereotype more than I hate the dowdy librarian stereotype. Personally, I feel I'm halfway between the two, so I hope I transcend the stereotype.

In rebuttal, I offer these words from Caroline Graham from her address "The Common Novel In Libraries," published in the 1894 Proceedings of the American Library Association:

“If it be a problem with librarians why so many people in the world desire commonplace books, I suspect the answer is found in the fact that so many persons are merely commonplace people. This would be an appalling fact, if not for the fact that outside their own line of work librarians are often quite gloriously commonplace themselves, without feeling grieved about it. “ (p. 15)

Yeah, hmm. I think we should all remember that. The problem with being "hip" is that inadvertently or with intent, you tend to make other people feel bad about themselves. I've got no problem with individuality and a tart tongue, but I think it's important for the profession to realize that one of the most valuable tools we have is a ready smile and an honest interest in and ability to listen to others.

On a more personal note, I have handed in my final research paper. I am pretty sure that I will be all officially a Master of Library and Information Science as of next month. If anyone wants to read said paper, it's dull librarian shit on the "quality vs. demand" issue, but I put in some quality Kerry Snark.

No comments: