Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Wardrobe Therapy: Week 5

Okay, jewelry and accessories below, but first a few words on the other categories of clothing covered in this week:

Fancy dress clothes--I don't really have any of those. Oddly enough, you know when I had and wore a lot of black cocktail dresses? Sophomore year of college. Good times. Never repeated.

Exercise clothes--Should I be stirred to exercise, I have a variety of t-shirts I don't mind staining with sweat, a pair of yoga pants, a pair of shorts, and a pair of sneakers.

Clothes worn by a 30's movie heroine entertaining a late night guest--I'll start buying for this occasion when it looks like it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening. I don't think the lessons of The Secret are really applicable to wanting an evening with a tuxedo-clad gentleman tickling the ivories as I mix us cocktails.

And now, onto pretty things!

Jewelry:



This is my jewelry box. Cute, huh? I got it at a thrift store.



Earrings. One pair is round tiger's eye drops. When I wear earrings, I wear those. The others are some cheapy brown bead things that I don't wear.



None of these watches tell time; I should take them across the street for new batteries. One is Native American turquoise and carnelian butterflies on a cheap watchband, one is a mood watch, the silver link one was a gift from the ex, and the Seiko was a gift from my parents. On the left is a vintage charm bracelet that fits; the one on the right doesn't but has more individual, weird charms like the "Future Teachers of America '38" charm.



I do like rings. The tourmaline is there; it wants to be worn with chocolate brown nails, so that is my beauty pursuit for the weekend. The enamel flower ring is costume from BR. The enormous glass flower ring is one I bought for a costume; I like it but it seems a little over the top, even for me. The pearls get worn occasionally.



Silver necklace that forms a soft V. I bought this in one of my favorite vintage places in Lakewood. I like the weight of it. Dusie was complimentary when she polished it for me a while ago.



The earring is a silver Tiffany flower. THe ex hated those earrings; he thought they were gaudy. He was an idiot. I think I have the mate with my grandmother's silver in OH--the cocktail kitties decided to play with them and I seemed to be missing one or the other for a while. The turquoise and silver bug brooch should get polished and worn more regularly.



I bought this in a consignment shop in Red Bank almost 20 years ago. It's a copper leaf choker. I was wearing it and a dark green turtleneck and jeans with a back velvet blazer from the 70's that had belonged to my mom when I got picked up for the first time by a guy in a coffeehouse above The Dublin House. We went off to the golf course out on the road to Highlands and made out. He never called me.



And these are my pearls. I got them for my 16th birthday. This was in the early 90's, my dad was out of work, and yeah, I wondered why the hell they bought me these instead of something sensible like school clothes. I don't often wear them. Yes, I do have mixed emotions about status, class and aspiration when I look at them. They are not really me, but like with that messenger bag I think that if they went missing it would be noticed.

Accessories:



These are belts that I bought for $1 each at Marshall's. They go with lots of my wardrobe--they brighten up the black pants and jackets w/sweater variations, and also go with casual pants. And when I went back a couple of weeks later and saw they still had them, I bought an extra of each.

Oh, and I got a joking comment on the purple one at work from someone who said, "That isn't an auditor style belt, Kerry! Too bright!" Considering the comment come from a guy who looked like his former Peach Corps volunteer self until casual dress ended Columbus Day weekend, at which point he returned to work with his hair shorn and looking like a banker, I took it lightly.



And this is the only decorative scarf I have, often worn as a belt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was given pearls for my college graduation (I think--well, some graduation in any case) and I began by not wearing them at all. Then, all of a sudden, I started wearing them a lot. Now, I love them for everyday. Granted, sometimes I feel I have to be careful to not look stodgy or uptight, but generally I think I'm okay!