Monday, September 21, 2009

Lamb Meatballs--The Experimental Version

I love it when I am clever in the kitchen.

So those Lamb and Bulger Meatballs were not the greatest. I mostly disliked the sauce they were served with, and though they also needed less parsley. But I had about 6 ounces of ground lamb left and remembered those lamb keftades Cookbook and I had at Lolita's. So...

6 oz ground lamb
1 tb finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup bulger
1 egg
1-2 tbs seasoning--I used Penzey's Tsardust Memories, but you can use a combo of cumin, ginger, cinnamon, dill, whatevs
2 tbs olive oil

Combine bulger and 1/2 cup water and let it sit for a few minutes. Drain into a fine sieve. Combine all ingredients but the olive oil. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes. Then take it out and shape into 4-6 meatballs. Put it back in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Heat the oil. Preheat the oven to 350. Panfry the meatballs to get a brown crust, then throw it in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve with yogurt cucumber sauce.

Next time I will play with the seasonings a little, and add only an egg white. Not bad. Plus points for using up odds and ends, and a good lunch for tomorrow.

No comments: