Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Interesting Stories About Carfree And Transit Developments

Hoboken is trying to reduce its car population by placing rentable cars right on the street. It's like Zipcar but uses on street parking. This is a good idea to reduce congestion; unfortunately it's really only possible in a truly urban neighborhood.

Me, I just wish I could get a Zipcar lot somewhere in my neighborhood. Phoenix's Zipcar program is based on the ASU campuses, but I think there's an untapped market in a denser neighborhood like mine.

NPR's Marketplace aired a story on whether it was cheaper to drive or use public transportation. Unfortunately, the story is very NY/NJ based and doesn't offer any broader guidelines. It's an individual and regional issue. I wish they had covered more general aspects on deciding if car or public transit is worth it for you.

No comments: