Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Cooking With Cookbook/My 25: Caramel Cake




So, this cake? It looks exactly like the cake in Warren Brown's United Cakes of America. And it was dead simple to make. Granted, I did have to go to Sprouts for potato starch, but it cost less than $4, which is not bad for a special ingredient. And the recipe was so precise, that the cakes turned out of the pan without incident and were a perfect tan.

I made it for the Crohn's and Colitis bake sale* at work, which raises money for the team we front for the walkathon at the zoo. However, because it was for work and I work with a lot of Mormons, I didn't use the optional tablespoon of bourbon in the cake and the caramel, which I think would have really added flavor. And only two people bought slices--me and someone else! What disappointment!

*I know, WTH? Maybe we're all being glad we can digest sweets without incident.

1 comment: