Thursday, November 26, 2009

So, Was That When The Turkey Caught Fire?

Ha, ha. I had a great Thanksgiving. Aces picked me up at 7:30am and brought me Dunkin' Donuts. She is such a good sister. We were out that early because Dusie signed us up for "Family Fitness Fun" at 9am. "There will be families without children," she promised. And there was one--us. But that's okay. It was mostly kids games for an hour, "Red Light Green Light" and "Sharks and Minnows" and the like. it was really fun, and I think we agreed that if we're looking for traditions that wouldn't be a bad one to pick up.

I had prepped everything ahead of time, so the only thing to do right when I got back to Dusie's was butter up the turkey and put it in at 500 degrees for 30 minutes, and then lower it to 350 for 90 minutes. I joined the rest of the fam in the living room and we were watching SparkleVamps! when Dusie went into the kitchen to get a piece of pie and screamed for Jesse X to come, the kitchen was on fire.

Okay, so the turkey was not actually on fire. It was placed a bit high in the oven and due to the high sugar content of the brine (mostly apple cider) it was burning and smoking. "Carmelizing nicely" is how someone from Food Network would put it. I put the turkey triangle on it and resolved to keep an eye on it.

The food was good (everyone said so), SJP! was adorable, my sister has much of the leftovers and didn't have to cook, Aces went off to have a second Thanksgiving with her boyfriend's family, and now the cat is glaring at me because he got no turkey. It's okay baby, I was going to get a porky tomorrow anyway and you like that much more.

Oh, and Dusie's opinion of SparkleVamps!*--"I am glad I didn't wait in line for a day and a half to see this in the theater. This movie makes the books look well-written."

*Jesse X didn't know why I called it SparkleVamps!. He thought it was perhaps liquor, recalling my glee at finding BabyCham at the BevMo!.

1 comment:

Bridget Callahan said...

SparkleVamps! is it's official name now.

Genius.