Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving!

So the very bad thing about my depression this go round is the loss of cognitive function. My brain is so fuzzy, my concentration so poor, the indecision so pervasive, that I can only do 3 things a day. Those are go to work, not slap a particularly annoying coworker, and keep the litterbox clean so Cain doesn't pee against the wall. On a good day I am successful at those three things and not much else. On a bad day...I can't even make a fucking list, this is how bad it is.

I was also sick last week, which didn't help much.

But I am cooking Thanksgiving at my sister's! Yea! When did I finalize the menu? This morning. Like I said, it's bad.

She may let me stick feathers to her daughter She's Just Perfect!'s (SJP's) bottom and pose her on a platter though.

Menu

Turkey
(Editorial comment: What is up with people only eating turkey once a year? We ate turkey all the time. It's always fairly cheap, delicious, easy to cook, stores well frozen, is adaptable to lots of leftovers, and turns into soup. It's like people who don't pick up pennies on the sidewalk. Hell, it's still 37 cents a pound at Fry's--Dusie and I are each buying an extra frozen one for future eating.)
Gravy
Pillsbury Grands! Buttermilk Flakey Style Biscuits per Aces's request
Cranberry Apricot Sauce
Molasses Pumpkin Pie
Mashed Potatoes--Kind of like these
Carrots--I was going to make carrot souffle, but may just steam them. Or roast them. Hmmm.
Green beans--Steamed with butter.
Stuffing--I asked Dusie to get the cornbread mix. I prefer it. I add onions, celery and carrots.

Jesse X is making apple pie.

This is fascinating. All I can conclude is Arizona is filled with people who don't cook, and no one has the ambition to tackle a butternut squash.

Afterwards I am going to get high off the combo of NarcoBaby (SJP!) and a bottle of moscato I've been saving, scrapbooking with Dusie, and watching SparkleVamps! And I took Friday off too.

2 comments:

drwende said...

I was going to suggest that the "above average" states are the ones people emigrate to, leaving their family holidays behind, but Minnesota keeps showing up. So I'm thinking some of these are "foodie" states, where people are searching for "pumpkin pie" in order to come up with a creative recipe.

Cookbook said...

That sounds like an awesome meal! I'm bracing myself for two deep-friend turkeys, some sort of dead game (likely quail) and bakery-fresh caramel apple pie AND giant cookie cake (in honor of my cousin Ben's bday, who is in China right now). And bourbon. Happy Thanksgiving!