Sunday, November 28, 2010

How Much Being Mentally Ill Has Cost Me in 2010

So here's the thing: being really depressed, like I was last year, has a big collateral and financial cost. Because I was depressed and barely holding on, I managed to pick the wrong health insurance and wound up on a plan that didn't cover my therapist. So, for the past year, I have been paying her out of pocket.

I go to individual therapy every other week, and group therapy every other week. Total=$320 per month. However, thanks to my new health insurance this goes down in January to a $15 copay for each, or just $60 per month.

On top of that, I have 2 antidepressants that cost me a $40 or $50 copay each for a 90 day supply depending on where I get the prescription filled. So we are looking at another $400 per year.

So being depressed cost me about $4000 in 2010. That's part of why I don't have a car and haven't done anything really super exciting. My therapist said, "Next year you can go to Europe on the money you'll be saving!"

Since my rent also decreased $50, I'm going to have $310 extra dollars in my budget starting in January. I mean, holy shit. A chunk of it will go to savings, some will be random padding in my budget, and some goes to debt. I'm still not going to buy or lease a car, and will always rein in my wants, but having extra money is very welcome.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

Ouch! But on the plus side maybe you can afford to visit NC sometime soon :).

Due to my job I now know an insane amount about health insurance, so I made myself spreadsheets comparing the costs of HSA vs PPO plans for the past and coming year (HSA = lower premium but higher out of pocket, PPO is the reverse). It's satisfying to have the knowledge that, unless there are unforeseen circumstances, I picked the cheaper plan.

If you want me to help you comparison shop next year just let me know :)