Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Thrift and Cleverness Make Me Giddy

I just made wonderful soup that used up quite a lot of bits and pieces. I have my next Bountiful Baskets pickup on Saturday, and so have to make room in the fridge.

I found this Sweet Potato, Sausage and Kale Soup in an older issue of Cooking Light. I have reasons for keeping them around, I tell you. This recipe was brilliant as it will freeze well, and took care of my "OMG, I am so spacey because I forget to eat PROTEIN all day" realization. There is not enough coffee milk in the world to help space brain caused by not eating protein. Peanut butter packet, stat!

It used up:

4 little sweet potatoes from BB
3 chicken apple sausages left over from my party last week
1 can of white beans that hadn't made it into Tuscan tuna salad yet, and probably never would
1 onion
Handfuls upon handfuls of these mixed greens (collards, mustard, spinach and turnip) that I bought at Trader Joe's in a fit of indirect peer pressure from Dusie. (She has an excellent diet. I do not. Therefore, when we shop together there's unspoken sisterly pressure completely manufactured by me to up my game.)

I seasoned it with some Penzey's Old World Seasoning and some shakes from a Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning (Product of South Africa) grinder. That made it nice and savory, with a bit of kick.

Hooray!

No comments: